Sunday, January 30, 2011

Big Red: Part One

Even for a student at Briercrest, the mention of Big Red could cause some confusion.

Is it a friendly dog who talks and teaches children lessons in sharing and friendship?


Is it a pack of gum?

Is it a social networking site to connect students within the community of Briercrest?


Since the context of this blog is already known, it is probably pretty obvious by now that Big Red is the last of the three mentioned options. Upon my arrival at Briercrest two years ago I was unaware of this message board system. For the first few weeks I always wondered what exactly would happen if I put my "briercrest live" account information into the login box on the current student page. ( http://www.briercrest.ca/college/current/default.asp ) All that is offered as means of description and instruction is "Welcome to the current college student services site. Use your Briercrest Live username and password to login." Since I did not immediately feel compelled to venture beyond the domain of this mysterious login box, quite some time passed before I entered the world of Big Red. I cannot remember the exact details of my first entry into this site, but I will make a probably quite accurate guess that it was a late night and facebook had exhausted my procrastinating desires. It turns out that Big Red uses social media to allow students and faculty to start discussion, post announcements, sell and buy things through classified adds and interact in theological debates. I will admit that this discovery did not have a life changing impact on my experience here at Briercrest. I routinely logged on when, as previously mentioned, I was bored of facebook and needed an online fix to provide me with a minimal excuse for putting of a certain pending paper. Are there others who use Big Red passively as I do? Are we as students missing out on something HUGE by overlooking this underestimated site?

This is only part of one of a mini-series in which I will explore students use of Big Red here at Briercrest and consider possibilities that would enhance and expand its function among the student popultion.

No comments:

Post a Comment