Saturday, February 5, 2011

More on Social Media

Since I am still waiting on the responses of a few fellow students regarding the use of Big Red, I will continue that topic at a later time.

Today I've decided to explore a few of the different avenues of social media that are used by students at Briercrest.
First, I will look at the use of blogs. In her book, Power Friending, Amber Mac writes that "Blogging initially defined what social media...was all about"(127). As I am currently attempting to keep a blog for this class, I found her tips and ideas helpful. I've realized that academic writing and internet-blog style writing are two very different styles. It is apparent that I definitely lean farther towards the academic writing side of things, which may be why I'm finding this blog task to be somewhat daunting. I really would much rather write a paper, yet maybe it will be rewarding to become more familiar with different ways of using words. It's worth a try anyways.
Some helpful tips she included that I feel I should work on incorporating include:
  • Use bullet points or numbered lists to easily organize information
  • Being concise leads to success
  • Accurate and clear titles (titles have always given me grief even in the world of Academia)
Another quote that provided a helpful reminder and encouragement, "Posts do not need to be long to be good, they just need to have useful information" (130). Yes, useful information is key. Useful information made interesting is key.
Here at Briercrest students appear to use blogs to A) complete assignments for computer class, B) writing as a student blogger, or C) to update family and friends of the daily going-ons around campus and life.

Next, Skype. Amber Mac doesn't include much on the topic of skype, but I know that it is in common use among students. It is often the main vessel of communication between students and faraway family and friends. It is also one of the easiest ways to communicate between students; which could include a quick question about homework, making plans for the day, or just conversation when the limited hours of open dorms have ended.

Twitter. I have never been too fond of twitter. I tried to use it for a bit, but could never think of anything clever to say that would compare with the wit and tact that others were tweeting with. So I quit. I don't think I even remember my account information. That is why I do not know much about the tweeting habits of students here at Briercrest. Except for those who link their tweets to Facebook, which is something that Mac suggests to do in order to most effectively utilize both social media streams.

Until Next Post...
possibly tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment